We’re releasing a long-awaited feature on the Viator Travel Agent Platform – a shareable, bookable link you can send to your clients! When the client books a product using this link, you’ll still earn commission and the booking information will be located in your agent profile under the Bookings and Commission tab. We’ll walk through some key information listed below to help you make the most out of this new tool.
- Where can I find the shareable link?
- How do I send it to my client?
- Technical details
- How does it work for my client?
- Can I use it on mobile?
Where can I find the shareable link?
You’ll see a button on all of the pages on the Travel Agent Platform, including the homepage. This means you don’t have to find the exact product for your client, you can send them various Viator destination recommendation and category pages to show them all the options – perfect for clients who like to browse lots of options before selecting. If you want your client to start browsing from the beginning, you can share the homepage directly without picking a destination first. The shareable button is also on product pages to quickly share those experiences you know your client will love. See below for examples.
*Note: when you share the homepage with your client, they will only see the consumer-facing site and not the travel agent site referencing commission.
Bookable link on recommendation pages
Bookable link on attraction pages
Bookable link on product pages
Bookable link on the homepage
How do I send it to my client?
When you find the page you want to share, simply click the “Share with client” button. A pop-up will display giving you instructions – copy the link directly (right click > copy or CTRL + C) or click the “copy” button to copy the link to your clipboard.) Once the link is copied, you can share it directly with your client!
*Pro-tip: You can include this link in your client’s quote pre-booking, or add it to their itinerary for in-destination booking. If you have a website, you can promote it there as well.
While this feature is simple and easy to use, we want to highlight some important technical information to ensure the best experience for both you and your client.
The attribution window for the bookable link is 7 days.
- Once your client clicks on the link, you will get commission for their booking as long as they book within 7 days after that first click.
- Each time your client clicks the link, the 7-day window starts over – the link does NOT expire
- If your client books something other than what you sent them, commission is credited to you if they clicked through from that initial link within 7 days.
- If your client clicks your link, exits the page, and then clicks on a Viator ad, you will not get commission for any booking made as the last click would not be your custom link.
The client will have the option to share booking details with both the agent and traveler, or only the traveler.
- The default (and recommended) option is set to “send my booking details to me and my travel agent.”
- If the client does not share their booking details with you in the checkout process, you will not have access to their booking reference number (this will be listed as “not shared” in your bookings and commission report).
For bookings made via your custom link, the client decides who gets the confirmation email.
- If the client agrees to share their details, your confirmation email will contain all the traveler information and booking reference number.
- If the client does not agree to share their details, you will not receive a confirmation email.
All bookings made through the custom link will be visible in both the Bookings and Commission tab in your profile, and the downloadable commission reports.
- If your client shared their details at the checkout page, their booking will be noted as “indirect” and their full booking details visible.
- If your client did not share their details at the checkout page, their booking will also be noted as “indirect”, but only their first name and last initial visible in the reports. The booking reference number will be listed as “not shared.”
- Bookings made directly on the Travel Agent Platform will now be noted as “direct” (ie by you).
The client will have a Viator account automatically created for them during the checkout process.
- Your client will be able to manage their bookings directly through viator.com.
- Only the client will receive email notifications if they cancel or amend their booking.
- Any booking changes made by the client will show up in your booking and commission reports.
How does it work for my client?
When the client clicks on your link, they’re taken to that Viator page where they can go through the booking process as they would on the consumer site. The Viator logo will have your name next to it so your client knows they’re booking with your link.
During the checkout process, your client will have the option to share their booking details with both you and themselves, or only themselves. We’ve made sure to mark that as recommended, and we suggest you recommend that option as well if you want to receive all of their booking details (booking reference number, full name, etc).
As we mentioned above, when you share the homepage with your client, they will be accessing the consumer-facing homepage and not the one specifically for travel agents. Your client will see your name in the header at the top of the page so they know they’re booking through you, and can start browsing and booking from there!
Can I use it on mobile?
The Travel Agent Platform is mobile-friendly! If you’re browsing on your phone and see something perfect for your client, you can send it to them right away. The client experience is also mobile-friendly, so it’s great for in-destination suggestions.
*Pro-tip: mobile bookings are rising (TripAdvisor mobile bookings increased by 70% over the last year), and most travelers tend to wait until they’re in-destination to book activities.